Thread: Be Prepared
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2022, 19:04   #890
Badger52
Area Commander

Having a hard time finding canning supplies?

Interesting article, and yet another example of what happens when Giant Corp. buys up small niche supplier, who gets lost in the big ocean.

Quote:
Last month I sent off my seed order for the coming season and began wondering how I was going to store my harvest from the garden. Was I going to be able to find canning lids this summer?

Canning jar lids have been the most long-term and perplexing shortage of the pandemic's past two years. Shortages began with toilet paper, which eventually got resolved, moved on to such odd scarcities as no fruitcake mix for Christmas 2020 (which mysteriously reappeared in mid-summer 2021), and even some types of Girl Scout cookies this winter.

But since the summer of 2020, when supposedly everybody in America was staying home, planting garden and canning produce, lids for canning jars have remained in short supply.
Lois Thielen

This was understandable during the first several months of the pandemic until the canning lid suppliers could catch up with the unprecedented demand. But the scarcity of canning jar lids didn't change throughout the pandemic. Consumers kept wondering why there there were so few lids available and why they became so expensive.

What consumers didn't know was that canning lids (around since 1884) and canning jars (around since 1858) are no longer being made by Ball and Kerr, the two big manufacturers of American canning supplies. A few years before the pandemic, these companies had sold out to a mega-corporation called Newell Brands.
Full article by Lois Thielen at the SC Times here.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote