View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 17:08   #177
Ironmike
Asset

knifes and hatchetts

I have made good knives and threw away about as many as I have made. I mostly use the stock removal style. How ever I have hammered out a few.
The metal I have used most often is saw mill blades. Which is usally L-6 high carbon steel. I am making 2 now out of a kyser blade that the handle broke on. I have 10 or so blanks I have already ground out. I usally harden the knives in oil and then draw them back to temper. I like for the handles to be a little softer than the blades because the steel is so hard to drill. I am dyslexic
so please forgive my spelling.
I have made knives for people that drew out what they wanted. I also make hatchets out of t-500 boiler plate. My hatchets are very tough and do not bend or brake. I usally harden knives to 56 to 61 Rockwell hardness and hatchets to 54 to 58 . I do not sell knives but will trade for something else. If I buy my steel from the knife makers supply , I will charge for the steel's cost and I also put German silver on the handles. I do not care for stainless steel knives, they just will not sharpen like high carbon steel. But carbon steel will rust. I mirrow polish the blades. I have though about adonozing the blades but iI like them shiney . I do hope I have not trepased by making this reply. I am in my 60's and would love to pass along what I had to gleen very hard for. An old man named Skagel started making hand made knives and they were sent to G.I. during W.W.II he did not charge for them but they were highly prized by all who received them.
I do not buy or collect knives. I am a Fox Fire person and Fox Fire 1 is my favorite book. De Opresso Liber

Last edited by Ironmike; 01-26-2011 at 08:24. Reason: insert attachment
Ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote