View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 17:33   #174
S.Gossman
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post
Tactical Knives just did an article on Crucible's CPM-S35VN and noted that Chris Reeve had a hand (probably a whole arm and most of a leg or two) in it's formulation. From the write up the Niobium looks to have reduced the grain size, increased the uper limit for hardening, and really reduced chipping - tighter austensiting and martensiting is what appears to be the effect of the Niobium Carbides... Chris has already made a few knives from it, I'd love to get a chance to see how it sharpens and holds an edge.

Bill- any thoughts on Crucible's newest addition?

SF med, I made a test knife out of this steel about 3 months ago and did some extensive testing for about a week. Cardboard slicing, over 1,000 slices, crossgrain batoning in wood knots, 100 push cuts in 5/8" diameter manila rope, also push cut through a 591 page Northern Tool catalog and other wood work such as whittling and batoning through seasoned oak. Never sharpened the knife and the edge was still very serviceable. After I was finished, I did resharpen.
Since then, I have been using as much as possible over the last three months. Just recently I gutted, skinned and butchered three whitetail deer using the knife. Even though it didn't need it, I did touch up the edge with my Schrade Honesteel. Edge holding and edge strength is exceptional.
Scott

Last edited by S.Gossman; 11-17-2010 at 17:37.
S.Gossman is offline   Reply With Quote