View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 20:30   #6
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

I know Camp Mackall area has a lot more paved surface these days, but Ft Bragg's basic Piedmont topography/geology hasn't changed in millennia. Miles of sandy, muddy, or hard packed clay tank trails, range roads, etc. Plus asphalt.

Find a comfortable/durable set of running footwear with a sole that offers a bit of traction... as opposed to slick bottomed runners optimized for only pavement. If they're too slick-bottomed to zig & zag safely on a wet grass sports field, they don't have enough traction.

They can be trail runners or road shoes, but they need to have some aggressive tread pattern for traction. Plus good cushioning/support. Shoes that can transition from dry sand to hard pavement to wet mud to pine needle coated forest floor to hard packed gravel. From flat roads & trails to rolling terrain. In summer heat, winter snow, or drenching icy rain.

Not a time to experiment with ultra-light footwear, foot gloves, minimalist racing shoes, etc. Standard civilian style NIKE runners (or other brands) will work fine.

If you have wide feet or pronate a lot, look at NEW BALANCE. If you really like your current shoes, buy another pair; put away for Camp Mackall. Break 'em in just a few weeks before you go. Leave the old set behind (or bring along as spares if packing list allows). I would expect a brief shoe description to be included in the mandatory packing list you receive before attendance.

Quote:
RedHawk12: I promise you, your running shoes will not be remotely close to the deciding factor on finishing selection or getting selected.
This.

Last edited by Astronomy; 06-28-2021 at 20:39.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote