View Single Post
Old 07-04-2021, 08:58   #6
CSB
Quiet Professional

Step One: Get an evaluation.

That simply means take a list of everything you've done in the Army (and civilian world too) to a college that prides itself on being a Servicemember Opportunity College). Sit down with a counselor, and see what you have already done that will qualify as college credit. Example:

CLEP Basic Examinations. These are worth your entire freshman year of college (if you make a high enough score).

The basic idea of the CLEP and DANTES (and other credits by examination only) programs is this:

Some professor nerd designs a test to see if the students have a working knowledge of facts and processes involved in a certain subject that is taught as a course in college. The professor nerd then gives the test to students who actually took the class. Those scores (of the students who actually took the class) are ranked. Then, the test is given to persons who did NOT take the class. The students who did NOT take the class have a simple goal: score equal or above those students who actually took the class.

In other words, what you scored (right/wrong) on the examination is not as important as how you rank when compared to those who DID take the class. While you will get a "raw score" from a CLEP or DANTE's test, that's not important. What your college will look at is your "percentile rank," that is, how many of the MF's who actually TOOK the damn class did you outscore? Each college sets its own percentile for you to be granted the credit. Some may be as low as 50%ile. That is, if you -- who never took the class -- can outscore half of those who DID take the class, well, you get credit. More likely, the college will expect 70-75%ile. That is, you must outscore 70 or 75 (out of 100) who actually took the class to be awarded credit for the class.

My system for CLEP and DANTES was rather straightforward. One week before the test on, say "Humanities" I would go to the post library and check out two or three textbooks on "Humanities." Art, Literature, History, that soft mushy stuff. In other words, I'd "cram" for the exam. I'd take the test, then forget about it. On to the next subject, return the previous textbooks, check out the text subject area books on next weeks test. Cram, test, repeat.

My CLEP scores were high enough for Campbell College to knock out my entire freshman year.

Next step:

DANTES Standardized subject examinations. Each one covers -- as the name implies -- one subject. So again, whether it is construction engineering, healthful living (wash your hands and brush your teeth), even basic mechanics (when to use a torque wrench, when to use a box end wrench, how to tighten the screws on a flat plate, that sort of thing) pick a book or two, read up on the subject, and take the test.

Next step: Look for college credit for service schools you completed (your AIT is a start). Go to the ACE Guide for the Accreditation of Service Schools. My experience was:

12A10 Pioneer Engineer (a basic combat engineer) was worth 3 credit hours in the field of Construction Engineering.

12B40 Combat Engineer Sergeant (the old Combat Engineer NCO "shake and bake") was worth credits for Construction Foreman.

Infantry OCS (the old 23 week program) was worth credits for "Military Leadership," and "Physical Fitness").

Special Forces Officer Course was worth credits for "Communications Electronics" (the old shortwave radios with Morse code, and "Basic First Aid").

Your mileage may vary.

Ranger, Jumpmaster, Air Assault and Pathfinder were worth zero college credits "due to the military nature of the courses."

Finally, see what waivers, equivalencies, and constructive credits your college or university will give you. Military personnel can often get the PT requirement waived. Some colleges give "freebie" credits just for being on active duty as in "Military Science in lieu of ROTC, two credit hours for each full year of active duty, not to exceed 12 hours for six years of active duty."

(Yeah, I nailed that one , too).

Don't be surprised to discover that after scraping and grubbing up tests, schools, waivers, and implied credits ... you are a sophomore or even a high ranking junior, ready to finish up a senior year and graduate.

But remember, no matter how many credits you can scrape up (and you will need 128 - 130 to get a degree) you can still run up against two big hurdles:

1 - Almost every college or university will want you to come set foot on their campus and establish "residency" at their institution before they will give you a degree. Typically, that's one year.

2 - Just racking up 128-130 credit hours may or may not lead to a degree. Some colleges do award a "degree of General Studies" and that means, yes, the student just collected a basket full of credits in many subjects. More likely, and of more importance if you have goals onward for law, MBA, MD, etc. is making sure you have the right credits in the right "bundles" to declare a "major" and have your degree actually recite, for example: a "Bachelor of Science in Government."

Last edited by CSB; 07-04-2021 at 09:03.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote