View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 13:39   #6
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
This clip of preserving eggs is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUYgguMz1qI
When my wife and I were researching our planned blue-water retirement she found an article in which one cruising couple coated their eggs with petroleum jelly. We decided that shortening would be safer and better. The slaked lime sounds excellent but carrying an item on a small sailboat that has limited use is a non-starter. Of course, unless disaster hit, when sailing offshore you're not at sea more than a couple of weeks at a time anyway.

As for "cookbooks", on my mother's side, they were mostly just family recipes passed down from one generation to the next. Given that her mother's line has been traced back to the Mayflower, it's possible that some recipe for something came from that period. But it would have been lost when my grandmother died since my mother relied on "modern" cookbooks.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 03-10-2018 at 13:47.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote