View Single Post
Old 05-02-2022, 19:24   #2
7624U
Quiet Professional

My background was the Senior Enlisted instructor out at the 18A course before I retired in 2019.

.02 (Bluntly) Your to late going the Officer route not being in the Army currently or prior enlistment with zero experience at your age.
If you truly want to go into the Army and get a Shot.

1. I also recommended going 11B with an Airborne contract and then volunteering for SFAS. you will be reassigned at the needs of the Army if you washed out for whatever reason as a 11B still Airborne.

2. 180a down the line of the enlisted path is an option. (YES) if you make it as a enlisted SF Soldier and get recommendations from your Commanders.

3. If I’m mapping this right, an 11b Airborne Option would put me on on an ODA in about 3 years (age 35).

(Maybe) all depends on how you do at your normal Army job and stay out of trouble and have all the stars align.

4. As an 18a, if you only operate from Cpt to Maj on an ODA, what is a day in the life like after that? Do you remain in SF, just not as an on the ground operator?

Majors are not on ODA's even if they wanted to run one as a Company Commander.

You remain SF, but on Staff jobs (AKA sucky jobs you won't like... chasing stuff down for your boss or getting your ass chewed for not making time lines)

Yes... you 99% of the time only get one shot at SFAS as an Officer. (because of your narrow window of opportunity and if you don't make it you will still have to attend the big Army required courses or risk get booted out of the military if you don't meet requirements of your Rank and year group.

-What factors am I missing or would you suggest contemplating, from your experience and looking back?

Do you have any problem with living in crappy living conditions with people that may or not like you and have not taken a bath in months, eating the local food with your bare hands ?

I would also test your resolve before signing any paper.

Wear some comfortable clothes, and some boots
get a backpack with 65 lbs in it. Now soak yourself with water from head to feet. and walk 12 miles in that wet mess see what you think ? Then ask yourself could you do 24 miles like that ? Could you walk 30 miles like that in 2 days.

If the answer is yes, that's a baby step to the 25m target but no guarantee of anything.
See my Signature before you go slurping mud puddles.

"Me"

Last edited by 7624U; 05-02-2022 at 19:28.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote