View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 21:15   #8
frostfire
Area Commander

I'm resurrecting this old thread to give credit where credit's due, and to encourage anyone eligible to participate in the All Army Small Arms championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Econ View Post

Tung is functioning on what I call 'The Next Level'. He was totally self motivted to succeed in the shooting disciplines and he dedicated every single second of his being on just this purpose. Few guys have this sort of focus so he functions on a different mental playing field than most.

Gene

Thank you master Gene Econ for all your mentoring, and for letting me have a role model in SFC Nguyen over a decade ago. I don't think I would have made distinguished, Presidents Hundred, have my name on the All Army NMC trophy in the AMU office, and few other prestigious accolades had it not for Tung's legacy. Thank you master Rick, TS, TR, NDD, Peregrino, et al for setting surgical marksmanship as the starting point. Without such high standard, I would have fallen prey to the self-limiting, "good enough" mindset that I have witnessed among army and law enforcement peers.

I just finished various quals for a gov agency that leans toward paramilitary. Shot the rifle, shotgun, pistol, and secondary pistol quals clean. Shot the low light, no light, unconventional positions ie upside down, and advanced drills clean. I shot the instructors qual clean, then I outshot the instructors.

IMHO, years spent at the All Army Small Arms championship is key to the success. Of course, participating without the correct mindset will not yield much benefit. While comparison is the thief of joy, competition breeds excellence. I got my ass kicked the first year, but I came back, and learned and kept learning from the top shooters with AMU, SMU, guard team, reserve team, even Air Force (yes, AF get to participate. Army can shoot at all navy and earn leg points too)

If you are eligible, please go on TDY for the annual All Army Small Arms. You get to shoot from 5 yards to 500m for entire 5 days. You will see that good is good whether it's race gear or rack grade gear. The CAG SGM who won it few years back used an A2 from a funeral detail. He'd normally use 416. I won the NMC the same year with A2 top and M4 lower as opposed to national match rifle. I then earned the top shot, outshooting all active duty and reserve competitors (who used optics) the next year with an A4 with irons. You also get to figure out how to maintain dexterity at 25 degrees temp, how to keep a fist size pistol group at 35 yards after running 1.5 miles with gear and so on. Various competitors and instructors bring technique from combat, PRS, USPSA, 3 gun, bullseye, High Power etc. It's a buffet for those with an appetite for learning.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 01-16-2022 at 00:08.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote