View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 23:18   #35
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboat509 View Post
First, let me say that I have been in the Army for just shy of 18 years and I have never gotten a re-enlistment bonus. I was already indef when I came into SF so I never even got one of those bonuses. That said, as a near my twenty I am faced with a decision. As much as I would like to stay in, I do have a family to think about. My kids a growing up without Daddy, largely, and that kills me. I can take mitigate that a llot by taking a SWCS tour as long as I don't end up as SUT cadre. But I also have to think about my second career. I am not one of those guys who is going to take one of those contracting jobs that will keep me from my family as much as my active duty career did. I am going to find a regular job and come home to the wife and kids each night. As I get older, I will only be marketable for so long and if I wait too long I may not be marketable at all. On top of all that, I will need a degree. I am doing online courses but the OPTEMPO makes it difficult, even when we are not deployed to Iraq. When I hit 22 years (my planned retirement right now) I may need to get out just so I can focus on going to school full time to get my degree.

SFC W

You Can still CSRB, just not for the Max amount, in case you didn't know.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote