View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 17:06   #26
Sean
Asset

I'll try to answer in one post the questions posed in three.

First, regarding stabilizer muscles, I was referring to the segmental stabilizers (multifidus) located along the spine that ensure spinal alignment during complex, multijoint movements such as Olympic and Power lifts, and basic functional movements. The segmental stabilzers as well as the muscles of the trunk (the core) provide stability, balance, and power, and prevent injury.

On to functional exercises, which will answer why I have no idea if I can hop on the comfy leg extension machine and do 100-plus reps of the same boring, single-joint movement. Basically, functional movements establish motor recruitment patterns which are applicable to daily life. For example, if I'm about to lift a large television and move it somewhere, my body knows to keep the spine straight, bend the legs, and start the movement at the core. It knows this because I deadlift. A lot. Therefore my nervous system is used to the idea of "pick up heavy object off the ground" and I am able to do so without injury. If I need to pick up a heavy box and put it on a high shelf, again my body knows what to do because I do cleans and jerks, and their variants.

Utilizing pulley machines, Bowflexes, and isolation exercises in general does nothing to develop these neuromuscular pathways, making real-life movements like those I mentioned inefficient at best and hazardous at worst. I have never been in a situation where I've had to sit in a chair and move my legs against resistance from the knee down. I do, however, have to lift up heavy objects all the time, sometimes even over my head. Therefore, I see little use for the leg extension machine. However, if one makes their living going to spectator events, the pec fly machine could develop wicked clapping power.

Lastly, most of the tertiary muscles are in your hands and feet. Many deal with fingers and toes, especially the big ones. Hardly helpful in bicep curls, but with enough time on the Blitz, I guess I could become a Thumb War champ.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote