View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 16:02   #17
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
Thank you sir. She has in fact seen the IDS, and still no word on a diagnosis. I understand it takes time, I just didn't figure it took that long to nail down.
There is a big difference between being at an academic center-affiliated hospital and being at said academic center.

Cultures do take time to grow, but draining/scraping of one of the bullae (large blisters) as shown in your picture should help with the diagnosis.

Staph or strep skin infection and subsequent exotoxin effects could certainly lead to her clinical picture and is more likely than SJS (Stevens-Johnson), but I had assumed (mea culpa!) the docs are working her up for the more common things and you were asking because the process has progressed despite a few days of assessments and intervention which would make for a need to think outside the box.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote