Thread: SFAS Advice
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 15:37   #36
VAV1500
SF Candidate

I'll keep it short.

Just remember when the rumors and G-2 are flying around, no matter what--if you were given a detailed day-by-day briefing of what you were expected to do at selection--you still have to do it. Its more fun when they keep you guessing anyways.

Also--on a slightly different note...

There is no delicate way to put this, but use those pink slips to the best of your ability. There are a lot of reasons people probably shouldn't be in the program, ranging from the subtle to the horrifyingly obvious. Thus far my experience has shown that there is still a light at the end of the tunnel and the really serious cases will either take care of themselves or be spotted and outed by the cadre (thank god). Anyhow, be fair and be clear why you think someone is unqualified, whether it be they complain about everything, have a bad attitude, act entitled, don't put forth the effort, ride your coattails, or are just that dude you get that baaaad feeling about. Be sure you put it down when you get the opportunity. Articulate yourself as well as you possibly can. And perhaps most importantly, remember, as one individual related to me, "It's called Special Forces, not special friends."

This is just my very humble opinion. Am I the most qualified person to comment on this? Absolutely not. Am I too harsh a judge of the relative value of others? Maybe. But I also believe that by keeping one's standard for themselves at an unattainably high level, they will likely succeed in their endeavors. Be tough, be fair.

So much for keeping it short. I hope those preparing to make the journey find some use here. This is a great thread and another great addition to the website.
There'll be time enough for sleep."

AE Housman
VAV1500 is offline   Reply With Quote