View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 20:30   #1
TWITCHY
Guerrilla

Countering Violent Extremism

I am working on an end-of-term grad paper for a homeland security class and I am considering the topic of countering violent extremism. Our assignment is to evaluate a current homeland security policy and offer critique to improve or continue the success of the policy.

DHS has a CVE website, which offers up the government's strategy for countering radicalization. I am early in my research, but it honestly seems like a bunch of platitudes and empty strategies targeted towards local communities. My point being, they use a lot of words to describe a strategy that, in practice, may not work.

I would like to know if any of you have experience, at home or abroad, with countering radicalization within populations. I would also like to know if any of you have experience with the government's CVE framework and its application at ground level.

The DHS CVE website talks a lot about "empowering" communities and developing "off-ramps" for potential extremists. In my mind, a strong counter-narrative (even a subversive one) conducted on social media and commietube.com would be a possible approach. I'm not sure if this is something that they are doing, however.

I appreciate any input that you may offer, as I value your expert opinions and experiences.

Thanks,
Twitchy
TWITCHY is offline   Reply With Quote