View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 13:22   #94
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

I felt almost a sense of obligation to include this letter in a reply to my Congressman whom I've been in contact with recently. So I did . I'm not as well versed as you all are in these matters, and my writing style needs some polishing, but here is the reply to my Congressman I just sent out:

Congressman Hoyer,

I want to thank you for your response to my email. I would also like to present a few counter-arguments to some of your statements. Let me start with your initial statement of, and I quote, “The shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut have compelled the nation to reexamine how we can avoid such a senseless tragedy from occurring again.” I will try to be brief.

To me, as a constituent, I fail to see why it took a mass shooting to spark the outcry of an Administration who prior to this event, did not seem to attend to the plethora of communities and victims lost to gang violence, stabbings, rape, drugs, people being struck and killed by drunk/drugged drivers, people killed by distracted drivers, etcetera. I understand everyone wants the senselessness to end, but being realistic, none of the proposed resolutions regarding firearms themselves will curb any of the aforementioned crimes to include crimes where a firearm is used.

I agree with more thorough background checks; however I disagree with [quote] “banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines”. The term ‘assault weapon’ itself is very misleading. Just because a firearm in its appearance, looks like a military or law enforcement issued firearm, it is not. Anyone can dress like a duck, but that does not make them a duck. A determined assailant can do just as much damage with 3 ten-round magazines as they could with a thirty-round magazine with little to no training. Even if firearms were abolished altogether, that would not stop criminals who are committed to do harm from illegally obtaining firearms to completing that goal. There are several examples around the globe that echo this statement.

I believe, as do many others, that the problem lies with so-called ‘gun control’ itself. Obstructing law-biding citizens from their inalienable right to possess arms just empowers criminals that much more to commit crimes. Most of the crimes which involve firearms occur in heavily legislated, gun-free metropolitan areas, and outlying areas. There are statistics from various sources which verify this. There are also other statistics that can be interpreted in either direction; be it in favor of further gun control, or against gun control in its entirety. My question to you Congressman Hoyer, is how are you interpreting these statistics, and how are you representing your constituents who have the common-sense approach of further gun control not being a viable solution?

I would like to propose solutions, however a more eloquent proposal has already been written by, and signed by, over one thousand active duty and retired members of the elite military organization, the United States Army Special Forces; also known as ‘Green Berets’. I have attached their open letter titled “Protecting the Second Amendment” to this email. I challenge you to read this letter, and to ponder the facts and solutions suggested therein.

In conclusion, I want to thank you again for your taking the time to read my correspondence, and I look forward to your reply. This is a very turbulent time in our Nation, and any decisions regarding the Rights granted to us by the U.S. Constitution should not be acted upon forthwith without due diligence and considerations of all the facts. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote