View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 19:27   #21
akv
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rock
I agree to an extent…{your entire post} but I think you’re confusing an ideology with ethnicity. I disagree with those who express fear in uniting the Ummah - those who hate us already hate us and nothing can be done to change that - what’s wrong with drawing em’ out of the shadows for the world to see?
We are actively targeting the extremists across the globe as we should be. In regard to ideology, IMHO the hierarchy of identification in sentient beings is not so simply defined.

A man can be, a son, a brother, a husband, a father, a Waziri, a Pakistani, a Sunni, a Muslim, an engineer, a soldier of the 7th Division, and the list goes on. The hierarchy of this man's identification and loyalty just isn't as simple as Islam trumps everything all the time, if it was for example the different interpretations and massive historic violence between Sunnis and Shi'ites wouldn't exist.

We are at war, precision and knowledge can only help us. IIRC one of the ways we were initially able to track AQ in the hills of Afghanistan, was talking to the spice merchants, taxi drivers, and money changers of Kabul. A great number of AQ are Saudi Arabs, Afghans are not Arabs, the Saudis eat different spices, dress differently, had to change currency, and needed to be driven around to get these things. We put ourselves at disadvantage by ignoring the diversity, rifts, and competing motivations within Islam.
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote