View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 21:38   #10
Logan
Quiet Professional

The program began in June of 84. I know because I was in the first class of 180As and we all got appointed the same day in June 84. Program almost ended as we were going to drop out in mass from some of the nonsense at Rucker but after a long talk with the SWC general who flew down to discuss the issues with us we decided to stay and fight the system from within.
We had no idea what to expect back on the teams and everyone had a different experience based on the different attitudes of the company commanders, CSMs and Team NCOS. Everyone went to ODAs as it was directed in a memo.
I went to Mott Lake and spent several years there until our BN moved from Bragg to Campbell.
It was a challenging, fun but sometime confusing time as we learned our role and found our authority.
I also made a quick change to the TM SOP and made sure I never carried the generator again.
My motivation to go 180A was to get more team time. I was lucky enough to get almost 17 years of A team time (7 enlisted to E-7 and 10 W0 to W4)

I have known a lot of the newer 180As in 5th Group over the past decade since I retired and find them very capable and highly educated. Think many of them could benefit with more A team time before the 180A jump but thats the reality of the system.
Just my few cents worth as I don't post often.