View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 08:06   #8
Dozer523
BANNED USER

In the 80's when the program started I wondered, "What kind of guy takes this path?"
I served with two very different WO on two very different teams with two very different Team Sergeants. WO1 was a WO1 went to the course as a 26 YO, SSG, had no right uttering 'BTDT' as often as he liked. He never really grasped that he was not one of the "kids" as he liked to call them. He never defined his role on the team, and resisted my defining it. He didn't see himself leading when the ODA was doing split team operations -- he was just another rifleman following the TS. He didn't understand field logistics or how to stand in front of the staff and get stuff on the resupply, wouldn't follow up a "no" by taking it to the next level.

WO2 was a WO2. was old -- like about 50 (sure that doesn't seem old to me NOW) Lots of experience, VN, schools, staff experience, lots of BTDT. I don't know what rank he attended WOC -- that he had ever been anything but a Warrant never crossed anyones mind. He didn't do heavy lifting in the field (probably missed it but was realistic about his field speed) but he could and did handle the logistics and admin while we were out in the field. He understood the cooperative competitive dynamic between a TL and the TS and was an honest broker to both of us.
TS (smiling) "We need to be on the same sheet of music."
TL (smiling) "I'm conducting this orchestra."
WO (laughing) "Well, we're just trying to produce a great concert, Let's take it from the top."

WO1 struck me as a guy who liked being a Green Beret but realized he might not have what it takes to be a Team Sergeant. I think he saw WO as a shortcut to being a boss without the responsibility.

WO2 loved SF and loved the Team. He could and did command but was just as happy with his nitch as next to the TL, and TS -- leaning more toward the classic role of Inf XO. He was the handler of stuff. The co-equal third set of eyes and ears. He understod that when it was all said and done the TL was responsible. At concept time or back-briefs WO2 was the experienced guy who the BnCO sometimes looked past the bright "come on, sir" eyes of the TS and TL to get that nearly imperceptible nod that said "They really can do it and I'll make sure at my end".
That was the best time of my life.

just my .02, brothers and it was a looooooong time ago.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote