View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 12:05   #26
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
WTF is "SF Firebase?"

I was in an "A Camp" in that AO from Aug 68-March 70.

They dropped everything but snowballs all over the place.
Thet even dropped big drums of CS crystals along the border that came to life when you walked thru the area. It affected the little guys a lot more than us, but it definately kept people out of the area.

"ODA" is a term not used in those days. We were "A Detachments," or "A Teams."

Never heard of sleeping gas-think that was in "The Wizard of OZ"
When I was with the Cav at the 2/7 rear hq in Phouc Vinh the MPs dusted a bunch of old ARVN bunkers across the street to keep the hookers from utilizing them for illicit rendezvous. We got some harassment rockets one night for about 10 minutes. Most of them landed near the airstrip the 227th AHB area.

After the fireworks let up, I had the company xo s in the orderly room checking on any damage and WIAs (there were none).

Suddenly the battalion XO, a true Saigon commando, bursts into the room with tears running down his cheeks screaming "Gas! Gas!. They're firing gas shells! What are you people doing? Man the bunkers! Everybody on the green line! Get ready for a ground assault!!"

Found out that he had been taking his evening stroll when the hardware came in. He jumped into the nearest bunker he saw. Yup, it was a dusted one.
What a dork that guy was.

We were all over the Parrots Beak in the 70 incursion. Nobody seemed drowsy to me.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote