View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 15:18   #63
funnyman
Asset

More Education

I was recently talking to a Marine officer who's a friend. He's also a civilian LEO. We were discussing the opinion of the second amendment among young ones serving. The conversation revealed what I had suspected: that the younger folks are not educated on the fundamentals of the US Constitution and some just don't care. In a LEO's case, they're just taught the legalese of when it's OK to arrest someone. That's great except that so many current laws appear to be unconstitutional (IMHO).

I remember, as a young PFC, just thinking I need to do what I was ordered to do. I assumed every order was a legal one unless it was something to the effect of 'go blow grandma's brains out'. If I was ordered to confiscate weapons from civilians, I would have done it. AFAIR, at NO time did either an officer or NCO brief us on the Constitution and how it impacted our responsibilities or actions. Sure, we were explained Geneva Convention stuff, but IMO, that's different.

I've been ETS'd for quite a while now, so maybe things have changed since then. But I think our armed services and LEOs need to do a better job explaining the Constitution to the young folks. And the older folks should get refresher training. After all, if they're going to take an oath to defend it, they sure as hell should understand what it's all really about.

If I were still in, I'd be having a heart-to-heart with the guys both up and down my chain of command.
Are those conversations happening today? I sure hope so.

-Just my $.02