View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 13:09   #81
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
To read is to learn..

This article explains some of the yang/yin associated with the civilian tort(S) about to start.

The article was written for people like me, the FOG, I like that..

Quote:
After the Kyle Rittenhouse verdict could a defamation lawsuit or DOJ investigation be next?

Voltaire once lamented "I was never ruined but twice: once when I lost a lawsuit, and once when I won one."

"There is also no clear basis for a civil rights prosecution. Rittenhouse is White and shot three White men. He was not accused of a hate crime. Moreover, he is not a member of law enforcement or government agency, so he did not deprive anyone of their civil rights under federal law."

"All three men attacked or threatened Rittenhouse before he used his weapon. The common law protects not just self-defense but mistaken self-defense where a person may have erroneously (but reasonably) thought that he was under attack. "

"When attacked, Rittenhouse is authorized under common law to use commensurate force. While Wisconsin does not have a "Stand Your Ground" law, the common law has always recognized such a right and did not require a person to retreat before using force."

"Finally, Wisconsin is a "modified comparative negligence" state. Accordingly, any plaintiff (or his estate) is barred if he is 51 percent or more at fault."

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/kyle...-investigation
There is some talk of the civil torts such as the Goldman vs OJ, with OJ getting a 58,000,000 bill but I think these are vastly different stories.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote