View Single Post
Old 08-17-2004, 12:58   #11
mumbleypeg
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by lurch
For the past couple of years I've been contemplating committing some of the events that occured during my military service, especially those associated with my SF and SOG time, to a written form. Not for publication but as something to pass on to my children and grandchildren. As for those outside my family. If I mention my military service and they show an interest and ask about certain details I certainly am not reluctant to tell them; not just about my own accomplishments, which were minimal, but about the courageous and dedicated men I had the privilege of serving with.
My Grandmothers second husband was a crew chief in the AVG. under Chenault. As I grew up this unfortunately didn't mean much to me. "Cool Jacket Grandpa". His response was always about how horrible conditions were on the Burma road.

Fortunately, Will and other AVG members committed memories to paper. I would not know anything about Chenault (or Merrill either) and what kind of sacrifices these men gave, had I not had written and recorded memories. This included letters home from both Grandfathers who spent the time between 41 and the end of the war in the Pacific and Asia.

I cherish this small collection of family memoribilia. I have found more backbone than I ever imagined possible by refering to these stories. I have a reminder of what hard duty really is, I have found it encouraging and helpfull, particularly when I have felt whiny.

I was with Will on more than one occasion when the topic of China came up. His response,depending on the person was"yea, I've been to China, I shit my pants and didn't have any fun." I always thought that was a great answer. Of course I knew the real story.

just my very grateful .02
mumbleypeg is offline   Reply With Quote