View Single Post
Old 01-17-2023, 10:46   #1703
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
So they're contemplating a 120-day window during which you can do the form less the $200 and you're good. I'm waiting for someone who went ahead and SBR'd their gun to file & ask for their money back. Also, this now screws some folks whose state allows a pistol but doesn't allow SBR's. Their own reasoning is a kluge and sounds like something Joy Reid would think up. Once the date comes, I expect it will be headed through the courts. They don't have a record of doing well when using their own reasoning as their entire case.
Something else about the $200 "tax stamp" that the ATF says you don't have to pay during the 120 day registration period...the ATF lacks the Constitutional authority to waive any taxes, since that lies solely with the Legislature. So what the ATF has said is that the $200 isn't being waived, they just aren't requiring you to pay it.
So, at some point, the ATF will probably say everyone who owes it will have to pay it or lose their tax stamp.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”

--Thomas Jefferson
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote