View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 21:10   #10
Toaster
Guerrilla

SGT Gary Beikirch's testimony continued

As the battle raged on, my two "Yard" friends carried me for hours, taking me where I directed them, helping me care for the wounded, shielding me, protecting me,

holding me up as we continued to fight. Later, I would again be plagued by the questions of, "Why did they carry me all that time? Why did they stay with me?" They

never left my side. What made their love for me so strong that they were willing to give their lives for me? One was killed as he covered me from an explosion.

At some point, I finally collapsed and was unable to go on. From here on my personal memories are a swirling stream of sporadic events...watching med-evac choppers

being shot down as they tried to get me out...strong arms reaching down and pulling me into the safety of a chopper, the face of the young medic shocked at seeing that

I was still alive, but telling me I was going to be OK, being thrown onto a litter and rushed into an operating room, IVs in my arms and neck, catheters in every

opening of my body, lights, shouting, and then...darkness.

I awoke not knowing how long I had been unconscious. I did a quick self exam..unable to move from my waist down (the blast had temporarily paralyzed me), tremendous

pain in my abdomen...what was that on my stomach? My large intestine was in a plastic bag (shrapnel had perforated it and a large part of it was removed). More tubes

were in my body...one through my nose and into my stomach...my stomach! Why did it hurt so? I looked down and realized it had been ripped open and was now sutured back

together. Then darkness...I was once again unconscious. These periods of being "in and out of consciousness" continued...each time bringing new awareness of my

inability to win this battle with "Death." Once, I came to, and watched as an Australian advisor fought for his last breath and lost. As they pulled the sheet over his

head, I began drifting into unconsciousness and wondered if this was MY death.

I awoke once again but this time my waking moments were spent battling with the deaths of so many of my friends: the "Yard" I covered with my body, the one who carried

me for hours...Why am I still alive and they are not? God, I feel so guilty, so helpless, so angry.

Days passed as I continued to "come and go." One day I awoke and there was a chaplain standing by the next bed praying with a young dying soldier. He turned and saw my

open eyes. He handed me a cross and said, "Glad to see you're awake. I've been praying for you a couple of days. Would you like to pray?" My answer to his question was

a pleading, "I don't know how." He simply and confidently replied, "That's okay, God knows how to listen." My prayer was a simple one: "God I don't know if you're

real. I don't know if you're here, but I'm scared and I need You."

Right then something happened...no flashes of light, no miraculous physical healing, no visions, but a very real Peace, a comfort, a "Knowing" that there was Someone

outside of myself greater than my pain, greater than my fear, greater than Death...there was Someone who had heard my prayer and wanted me to know that I was loved and

not alone.

The next two years were spent searching to find out more about this Presence, the God who had touched my life. I left the Army and traveled around the

country...through Canada...I studied different philosophies, different religions, searching for ways that might lead me once again to that Peace I had found in

Vietnam, the lessons it had taught me, the questions it had left with me, and my efforts to find God. He listened and told me there is no mystery to finding God. He

then asked me to do him a favor and read a book. He handed me a New Testament.

As I began to read the Gospels my "eyes" and my heart began to open. I then read the words spoken by Jesus in John 14 and 15 as if they were spoken to me..."Let not

your heart be troubled, Gary. You believe in God, believe also in Me. I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man cometh to the Father but by Me....as the Father

hath loved Me so hace I loved you, Gary...greater love hath no man than this...that a man lay down his life for his friends...I have given my life for you, Gary. You

are my friend." As I continued to read, I knew that this Jesus was the One I had met in the hospital bed in Vietnam. On July 2, 1972, I knelt and accepted Jesus Christ

as my Lord and Savior.

After my discharge from the Army, I had planned on going to medical school. However, once I started walking with my new "Friend," Jesus, I believed He had different

plans for me. I grabbed my backpack, my Bible, and headed for Florida. For months I walked the beaches, read my Bible, and asked God what He wanted me to do. His

answer was... "Serve Me."

In September of 1973, I entered the seminary, dedicating my life to serving the God who had given me His life. One night a few weeks later I received a phone call from

Washington D.C. asking me to come to the White House to be presented with the Congressional Medal of Honor by President Nixon. Coincidence? I do not believe in

coincidences any more...not when you are walking with God. I remembered a verse from John 15..."Gary, you have not chosen Me, but I have chosen Me, but I have chosen

you and ordained you that should go and bring forth fruit." I was sure God had a plan and I was excited to be a part of it, however, among many other emotions I was

also very confused. I knew I was not worthy of such an honor, but as I continued to look to Him for reasons and answers I began to understand that He allowed me to be

presented with this Medal, NOT because of anything I had done. I only did what I was trained to do...it was my duty. No, it was not about what I had done...BUT what He

had done. What He had done in my life and wants to do in the lives of others. It was given to me not to honor me, but so that I could honor Him.

God does have a plan and a purpose for our lives, and although there is no mystery to finding Him, at times it is a mystery to walk with Him. It wasn't easy at first.

Even now there are times when I fail to trust His love completely, but then I remember my two "Yard" friends who loved me, protected me, and carried me when I couldn't

walk. If I could trust them with my life, why shouldn't I be able to trust Jesus? Shouldn't you?

So each day I trust and walk humbly with Him, telling others about His Love...and I wear the Medal of Honor...For His Honor.

-Gary Beikirch

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch

Last edited by Toaster; 05-23-2012 at 21:17.
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote