View Single Post
Old 07-24-2005, 15:54   #14
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferratus
1.) Which Officer MOS do you feel would provide the greatest experience necessary to operate as an 18A? More specifically, would working in something like the Intelligence or Medical branches give more useful training than in the Infantry branch?

2.) Since it seems as though there are more applicants for an 18-A than there are open slots, is there an MOS that would increase my chances to be later selected for SFAS?

3.) Is Ranger School still an option for non-Combat Arms officers?

As a sidenote, I'd just like to extend my gratitude for those who have responded to this forum. While there seems to be ample information concerning the NCO SF MOS, it has been exceedingly difficult to find a good source of discussion about pursuing a military career as an 18A. If anyone can recommend any good books or websites that address this topic, I would be in your debt.
1. 11A.

2. No.

3. My understanding is that it's now opened up to non-combat arms. The reality is the majority of slots still go to the Infantry.

Ref your last question about books to read specific to being or becoming an 18A...you won't find one written for a market that small...most books are targeted for "niche" markets of at least 200,000 people. I wrote GET SELECTED for a micro-niche (all SFAS Candidates), considering there's only about 3,000 men going to SFAS a year (10x classes of up to 300 studs).

Best bet is to read GET SELECTED, then ask SF O's (Me, Reaper, Razor, etc) about their experiences and advice. That way, you've got a foundation to ask from and you're not asking redundant things that have been covered already.

Best,
JM
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote