Thread: 18C Description
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2005, 21:43   #4
Pete
Quiet Professional

Team Engineer

Sometimes the 18Cs get pigeon holed into the S-4 or demo role and also sorta' an extra weapons guy or pack mule.

When our team was deployed one time we have to build range facilities, bunkers, CS rooms, ect for a couple of rounds of basic training. I was the team sergeant and was also an engineer in my younger years.

I had two sergeants as my engineers, both on their first OCONUS deployment and fairly new on the team. The Captain and I laid out the training plan to them and told them what needed to be built and when. They had never done anything like that and wanted me to help them out. I told them they were the engineers, it was their job and to get it done. I told them to let me know how many people they needed and when. I kept a close eye on them for a few days but they where doing good so I cut them lose.

They took the bull by the horns, borrowed some heavy equipment from the Navy and learned to drive it as they cleared the ranges. They also lead the work details that completed the smaller, more manpower intense jobs. They kept construction just ahead of the classes plus taught thiers as per the training schedule. They kept their nose to the grind stone and learned a lot.

An Engineer can do every thing a demo man can plus a hell of a lot more.

The question an 18C has to ask himself is "Am I a Demo man or an Engineer"?

Pete