View Single Post
Old 05-24-2004, 09:41   #15
McKagan13
Asset

well, I have no military affiliation...

just trying to get into OCS now since I just graduated the other day. But, hopefully I won't step on the any feet or be outta my league by posting this. But, from what I understand, there is no single "better" major for any branch or military career. There is only a "better" major for the individual seeking a military career, if that make any sense. In the end, from speaking to a few 18A's, it doesn't seem your major in college has much influence on your military career. Instead, what it depends on is your actual performance which for an O entails leadership abilities number one.

But, I can give a little insight from an engineering standpoint. I just graduated with a degree in Mech. Engineering. I personally believe that by having a degree in engineering will help me out if I make it into the Army as an O over others who have a degree in say liberal arts. If you ask any engineer, no matter what their personal field is what they are first, they all say "a problem solver." That is the main skill that is taught to us in school, to solve problems in a capacity that I never thought I could, and as a result coming up with the most efficient, optimal solution possible. Opposed to other majors where someone has to study or memorize cuorse material, as an engineer you are training to solve problems. I would imagine this will help me quite substantially if/when I get accepted to OCS.

But again, coming from a non-military associated stand point, I would think that you should choose your major based on what your personal interest are, and what you think you would like to do down the road outside the realm of the Army.

Sorry if I crossed my border, just wanted to give a little insight to the main aspect of engineering.

Good luck at West Point. Wonder if you know a senior cadet EJ? Wont say last name, would assume there to not be too many EJ's at WP.

Matt