Thread: AR kaboom
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2016, 21:17   #13
frostfire
Area Commander

thanks for all the well wishes.

Quick inquiry on .308 vs. 7.62 here. I just perused charts, graphs and 3 years of the topic in various forums . I found too many agreements to disagree.
So is it, or is it not recommended to run .308 in 7.62x51 chamber? Particularly tight semi-auto?
In one discussion, the factory .308 has 1.624 headspace whereas the 7.62 has 7.635. So that 0.011 difference is enough to increase the likelihood of blown primers (which I had with prvi) and eventually case-head separation/kaboom?
Maybe enough to prevent full/perfect in-battery at ignition?

FWIW....yes, I won the Darwin award In the heat of the moment, it seemed like a noble idea. There were actually two kabooms. An AF guy who never shot a precision rifle before stopped by during practice when the first occurred. Needless to say, it did not help his nerve/confidence. Not wanting to scar this guy for life, I made sure the barrel was clear and no cracks, then showed him several (single manually loaded) face shots with ease. Then he shot and had a blast. He left, I went back to practice again (from a different lot) and had a 2nd kaboom! I then switched to singe-loading M118LR and shot best group of the day (0.6 MOA).

The picture is actually from the 2nd kaboom. The case from the first one is all deformed, look compressed, and bent out of shape. The AF guy took it.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 11-15-2016 at 21:20.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote