View Single Post
Old 05-24-2022, 14:07   #5
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
JJ_BPK and Badger52

How would you rate "Swords" compared to Jim Donahue's accounts in the "Black Jack" series. Following in Donahue's and Snider's footsteps, I found Jim's first person accounts very real on both an emotional and action level to the point that I could smell the jungle heat and feel the pain of loss when one of the "Cambodes" had been hit. My fear is that "Swords" will read like a third person action/adventure trope and leave me feeling like I just played a video game.I got a b.day coming up and was thinking about recommending "Swords" to my daughter for a b.day present for me, but I will wait to read yous guys opinions first
I'll be delighted to let you know. I ordered it 10 minutes after the interview; it's inbound & when it gets here it goes to the head of the class on the nightstand. Given the subject it was an automatic order, just 'cause.

I've read & seen various accounts and that includes both Robin Moore's book on TF Dagger and some stuff from Halberstadt. Mark Nutsch during the interview mentioned that this had been an effort of many years to get the story told "right" (whatever that turns out to be). But I'll let you know. Agree that Donahue's work you cite is a high bar indeed, so we'll see.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote