View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 20:27   #14
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

As I said, there is good and bad. Truly professional Officers and NCOs leave something good behind whenever they transfer. Perhaps I am speaking of a much longer time frame. Men will be promoted in and out of a team. I took a different route and fon't feel it was a disadvantage. Enroute to the 10th in Germany I attended DLIWC and studied German. I guess I learned it good enough that when my car got drunk and totaled itself they took me to a German Hospitas since I wasn't speaking English. While in the 10th we went to Czech school conducted by the Berlitz Institute in Munich.

Enroute to Panama, I attended the DLIEC to study Spanish.I conducted various MTTs in Bogota in Spanish. When I arrived in Thailand, I attended a basic Thai course conducted in Lopburi.

So there you have it, a germanic, a romantic, a slavic and an oriental language. If alerted for deployment, I could learn almost any language quickly while in mission prep and area study. It worked then -- but different strokes.

The fact that all groups are now located in CONUS makes stability (and maybe stagnation) more possible than when 4 groups were located OCONUS and there was a regular rotation in and out. On the other hand, we lived among the Germans, Latinos and Thai rather than studying in our teamrooms in Homeland, U.S.A.

BTW: I had a "native speaker" from Texas with me while in Bogota. He was good for the entertainment but I had to conduct the classes. Everytime he opened his mouth he cracked the Colombians up with his Cheech Marin accent.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/

Last edited by QRQ 30; 05-17-2004 at 20:32.
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote