Thread: Branch FTX
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2005, 13:15   #14
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

I just couldn't pass up making a few comments here:

I enlisted in the US Army 04 Jan 1947:

We were issued WW II uniforms to include combat boots (with the two straps and rough on the outside) Green socks, underware and towels. We were also issued safety razors, sewing kits. Most of the uniforms had the little piece of cloth around the throat to help keep chemical warfare agents out. (OD Shirt, fatigues, etc. In those days you also got an ankle length boot and low quarters (All brown of course.)

Of course we trained with the M-1 rifle, BARs, Water Cooled .30 machine guns and other WW II weapons. We also were given WW II Rations in the field K- Rats and other rations of the era. I'l always remember the one little can that contained cheese and bacon mixed. It tasted good, but after eating it, one never had to *hit for a week.

I enlisted for (3) years to serve with the 1st Cavalry Division which was on Occupation duty in Japan. I did this because I wanted to be a "Tanker." On my arrival in Camp Drake (Outside of Tokyo) I was assigned to A Troop, 5th Cav Regiment, 1st Cav. Div.

I never did become a tanker there, instead I was given a BAR and found out that the 1st Cav was basically an Infantry Division! The only horses around were the ones the Division Commander and his aide rode around the post on and the Emperor's former stable of horses which were turned over to Special service for a riding stable.

We didn't see much change in our uniforms until 1951 or so, caused by the climate in Korea. Weapons the same, except for the new Bazooka (3.5) , because of the T-34 tanks. We did get fresh C rats in Korea though, no more WW II rations. I'll always remember the one called hamburger patties, which was packed with what looked like lard. If you heated them. they came out like meat packed in motor oil. If you ate them cold and usually frozen in the below 0 temps on the line, they were indeed packed in frozen lard. Yuck!

Awww the good old days! (Not)

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.

Last edited by Trip_Wire (RIP); 03-25-2005 at 13:21.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote