View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 09:30   #1
Flynnsane
Asset

Thinking of joining up....

Greetings gentlemen,

I was referred to this forum by a friend as somewhere I could go to ask questions about SF. I'll try not to make these questions too inane, but please don't be angered by my ignorance as this is exactly what I'm trying to correct. Basically, I'm 33 years old, a consultant with a software firm, have a degree in econ from the University of Michigan, train no holds barred fighting 5 days a week which keeps me in peak physical shape, am sick to death of the 9-5 gig, and am looking for something more. I've recently begun considering joining the army as I think it would provide both the challenge and the chance to serve and give something back for which I've been looking. Started doing some research and was intrigued by what I'd read about SF. What has attracted me is a lot of what I've read on this forum: brotherhood, challenge, sense of accomplishment, honor, and especially the motto of freeing the oppressed. I went to speak to a recruiter. He informed me that it was possible to apply to SF at my age, but that I'd need a waiver for my age. My question (probably the first of many, if ya'll will oblige me) is: What is involved with getting an age waiver? Is it realistic to even hope for one?

Also, and I know this is open ended, what advice can you offer someone in my posittion who is considering this as an option? What kind of questions should I ask the recruiter? Basically, I'm just trying to start a dialogue here by which I might gain information about my options.

Thank you all in advance for your consideration.
Flynnsane is offline   Reply With Quote