Thread: Bo gritz
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 08:41   #8
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

'Bo' Gritz was my Bn CO in 3/7 in the mid 70s. He was all about the troops and he was not a peace time CO. He antagonized the 193d GO and taunted the "legs".

For us, he let us do what we felt was needed for training and protected the teams from a a lot of BS. He was big into the martial arts and every week there was a Bn formation for PT that included beat the crap out of your buddy.

After he retired, I believe, and this is opinion only, that he became lost without the military and tried to bring back that little bit of life. In doing so he went over the edge.

Richard, on that photo, I seem to remember that he got his butt chewed out for not wearing his awards to some function, he proceeded to hunt down the actual medal for as many awards as he could find to wear to the next function. As I stated, he liked to antagonize.

He definitely is not a poser, however, he has lost almost all his "combat luster" due to his antics after retirement. As a Bn CO I respected him, now, not so much so.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote