View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 23:31   #12
afire87
Asset

Update

After searching long and hard here and elsewhere, I went with my gut and my original drive for military service, to become a Green Beret.

I went to MEPS got my physical, and was DQ'd for a childhood surgery. My PULHES was 3P 1 1 1 2 1.

After getting my waiver and returning to MEPS, my PULHES was changed to
1 1 1 1 2 1.

The Doc, Guidance Counselor, and Recruiter all said to go 11b and just drop a packet for selection once active. But I have read stories here and elsewhere that people with waivers have gotten 18x contracts.

In addition, the Doc said the 3P will be on my record forever even if I never have problems, and excel physically as a soldier. I am worried it will come back to haunt me, and when I drop a packet for Airborne, Ranger, or Selection, they will see the 3P and not the current rating of 1, and I will never even get the chance.

I have also been told to a few SF recruiters that I got in contact with recently at Fort Lewis and Fort Campbell that 11b may not be the best option to get to Selection the quickest. They mentioned CONUS and 1 yr. duty station requirements at minimum, 2 yrs at maximum.

My questions are:

1. Is there any way in hell that I can get 18x with a waiver? Will letters from high ranking officers, Congressmen, and Senators help?

2. If not, and while trying to drop a packet for selection as Active Duty, will that 3P prevent me later? Or is it once in the Army, the current physical assessment all that matters?

3. In your perfect scenario, what MOS would you select to be best prepared for selection? How stringent are the release policies for that MOS unit in terms of getting let go for selection?

I really have Googled and used the search button for hours a day, and many days now. If I have missed information elsewhere, I only ask for the search words to get to it, as I have tried any combination of these questions, and read through all the search results.

Thank you QPs. I will do pushups now just in case!

afire87
afire87 is offline   Reply With Quote