Thread: Attachments
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 13:58   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Great question.

First, you need to be a master of your MOS and duty position. No attachment is worth dragging along if he can't do his own job.

Next, you need to be solid in all Army common tasks, especially ones that might be key in a combat zone. No one want to drag someone outside the wire and give them a loaded weapon if they are knuckleheads.

While no one is going to expect you or your people to kick doors or run and gun with the big dogs, if you are proficient at manning a crew served weapon, you might free up a team guy to mix it up. Also, be sure that you are as well trained as possible on the essentials like TCCC.

If you bring any special skills from you day jobs, as most Guardsmen do, be sure to look for opportunites to help out. You never know when an EMT, a welder, or a forklift operator is going to come in handy.

Letting us know your mission, requirements, and wants while getting ours for integrated, symbiotic, and complementary operations would be a big plus.

Finally, please make sure that the people you bring are professional and mature. It is an inside joke that on deployments, attachments and support troops are the first to screw it up for everyone else. If you have people with drug or alcohol problems, headspace and timing issues, UCMJ magnets, who let the little head think for the big one, or who hate rules and authority figures, please leave them at home.

In short, I guess I would want someone attached to me who is good at what they do, ready and able to help out, a team player, and who won't cause me or my unit any problems.

Hope that helps.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote