View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 01:56   #9
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123
TR,
The advantage of having more med staff during a deployment is obvious, but in garrison the PA makes HUGE money for a separate company by being able to conduct and sign off on physicals for schools, pre-deployment physicals etc. rather than having unit members going to a MEPS station or what have you....makes things much easier and faster.
HTH,
FYI:
Physician Assistants, not Physician's Assistants are not authorized to "sign off" on any physical in the Army. All physicals must be reviewed and countersigned by a physician prior to being considered valid. So, if your PA's are utilizing signature authority on physicals...they are wrong.

I am not a big fan of a whole lot of "handshake deals". They tend to turn into political minefields and "good ole' boy backscratching" that deny doing the right thing, going through proprietary channels, from their own opportunities. If folks aren't willing to play "the game" with "whoever they have to play it with to get what they want / need" then they get pushed aside and the next guy willing to give up, do, promise, or whatever else gets the grapes.

Add to that, "handshake deals" early in a career generate an expectation later on for that same sort of special treatment, and in turn breeds the same style of leadership.

Utilizing personal contacts? Sure. Positional rewards and schools based on performance, need, and merit? You bet. Handshakes and under the tables drug deals? TROUBLE.

My .02 only.

PA

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote