View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 08:29   #6
abc_123
Quiet Professional

TR,

No PAs at the Btm level by MTOE. But...

On the NG side with Companies separated from their Grp/Bn HQ's there may be PAs that drill with a particular company on a more or less constant basis due to geographic proximity rather than hoofing it all the way the the Bn head shed every month. Also, depending on the individual state and their relationship with the particular SF Company and the user-friendliness of the BN/Group a PA may also be filling a particular slot within the state, but for all intents and purposes 'belong' to the SF company... i.e. drill with it and deploy with it. This happens because in this particular example the SF company was the draw that brought the PA into the ARNG and the state NG leadership is playing fair and letting the unit 'keep' whoever they can bring to the party so to speak. For this to work for the benefit of the unit, the PA needs to also have a working relationship with the Group/Bn medical staff.
Once deployed, the dealing continues and depending on the relationship of the Company and the individual PA with the BN and (naturally) the mission, the PA will end up where he is needed most (as with all of us) but again, if possible will work closely with the company that brought him.

Natually, a lot of this is "handshake" deals.

The advantage of having more med staff during a deployment is obvious, but in garrison the PA makes HUGE money for a separate company by being able to conduct physicals for schools, pre-deployment physicals etc. rather than having unit members going to a MEPS station or what have you....makes things much easier and faster. Since he is also likely doing PA stuff as his full-time job, that gives the company local contacts on the civ medical side... not saying that the Army doesn't provide everything that one needs, but it pays to use all available assets to get what you need in a timely manner.

Might be too much information... however the NG is a slightly different beast than AD.

0351Nurse -- PM inbound. I have first hand knowledge of an individual on the NG side that faced your same dilemma. He went PA and is his chain of command are in the middle of shaking all the hands needed to pull off the deal that I just described above. Reply to me if you want to talk.

HTH,

Last edited by abc_123; 05-31-2007 at 06:52.
abc_123 is offline   Reply With Quote