View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 03:04   #12
JLF
Asset

Perspective

I was apart of the recovery effort, I inserted a team to recover the bodies of the QRF and I also saw to the recovery of Marcus (the sole survivor). Another part of my job besides recovery is the reintegration of isolated personnel so I was also privileged to conduct his debrief and subsequent investigation (not a criminal probe but an initial tactical debrief with a dual role of looking after his medical and mental health). As some of you have correctly guessed there is a whole lot of information not being released.

Here's the picture I want you to understand. You are being engaged by an enemy who has the high ground, he has fire superiority and is maneuvering on you. There is no CAS available. So, imagine breaking contact with four teammates running downhill in terrain so steep that you all essentially have to throw yourselves off small cliffs and outcroppings. As you can see this situation makes it hard to do a lot of things. Can you imagine how hard if not ridiculous it would be for me to attempt to rescale a small cliff I just threw myself off of when I'm already running downhill with a persistent enemy who is engaging me effectively and still outmaneuvering me and now I have less suppressive covering fire because I'm down a teammate or two by now. The one teammate that is close to me I saw get shot and the only thing I could do was throw him off the cliff with me until his body goes into a tumble into ground that I dare not follow him into.

I'm the first to admit that I know I don't know $hit about much but none of us would want to leave a wounded man behind, but could I ever be in a position that will force me too... Yes, maybe... But I sure hope I'll never see that day... We all do.

I hope this helps with perspective,

JLF

Last edited by JLF; 12-22-2006 at 05:43.
JLF is offline   Reply With Quote