View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006, 13:49   #10
airbornediver
Guerrilla

Quote:
You need to understand the political environment as it pertains to your mission and follow all lawful orders given you by the chain of command. Period.
that I whole-heartedly agree with. That's a point I was trying to make (but evidently failed). Do I agree with every decision that the CoC makes? No, however, I just get the job done with the tools I have available.

Quote:
I only served in SF in three decades, but IMHO, if you work to the best of your abilities to accomplish your assigned mission, perform your duties to the best of your abilities, and take care of your people as well as you can, you have done all that can be asked of you, regardless of who is in Congress or the White House. As noted above, SF has good years and bad years. Right now, everybody wants to be SF. If you are not willing to be here and to do your best when the bloom is off the rose and Groups are being stood down, I do not want you in my force. We survived Carter and Clinton, and they employed SF as much or more than the more military oriented presidents.
First off, I really do appreciate and am thankful for those that came before me, that blazed the path I walk walk on, for my father and grandfathers are both in that esteemed company. Even when it sucks, I still like it here, sure sometimes things are frustrating, and maybe some of that was bleeding thru in my previous post, however, I volunteered for the job, I like it, and will keep doing it as long as I can. I wasn't trying to say that the SF decision is based (on any level) on who is in control of the White House, and I hope I didn't come across that way as it was not my intention.

Quote:
If you do not like your civilian leadership, you may do two things about it. Vote against them in the next election, or resign/ETS/retire at your next opportunity. You do not have a choice beyond that. You sign the contract and suborn yourself to the desires of the Army and the needs of the nation, under whatever elected and appointed leadership our people choose.
Again, both points that I agree on and that I also personally believe, and yes, I have ETS'd once before, though that wasn't based on who was president, it was based other options (college, etc). I do vote, and encourage others in the army to do so, for in my time I've known many who don't.

Quote:
We have civilian leadership of the military in this country, that is good and is the way the Fathers intended it. If you only want to serve under a specific party, you need to try another country which has a dictatorship, a military government, or a single party system.
Another point I agree with and do know, and there is no other country in the world that I'd rather call home. IMHO, America is the best place on earth, and I love being there.

Maybe I didn't clarify things in my previous post, while there's not much in specifics that I can say, what I can say that I know that its smart to be aware of the political climate back home and abroad. Sure there are things that comes down the CoC that seems very counterproductive at times, but that doesn't mean I don't follow orders. Sure we all get that WTF? moment when something off the wall comes down, but we all suck it up and drive on.

I"m sure everyone has had a "wtf?" moment when it comes to something asinine that the CoC has sent down, but the job still gets done. That's what I was trying to say, in part, and not trying to come across as anything but that. I realize that I probably didn't clarify my thoughts or write articulately at the point in the night, and for that, I apologize, and I hope I've made it clearer now.

Again, many thanks and tremendous respect to those who came before me.
airbornediver is offline   Reply With Quote