View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 20:30   #12
x SF med
Quiet Professional

82-
There was a semi official "SFAS" at the time TR is talking about - it was called "prePhase" and it was tough - I can't say if it was as tough, tougher, or easier than SFAS, having never attended SFAS. We rucked and PT'd constantly, patrolled, did land nav, and casual duty around SWC, and other parts of SF that needed bodies to get work done, or training dummies. You could fail prePhase, or VW, or get recycled due to injury... It got you ready to go to what was then Phase I. I was on what is now an 18X contract, as were a bunch of people I went through OSUT with - all of us had done at least 3 yrs ROTC in college, advanced training, and 5 of us were already ABN qualified. My class had Rangers fail or withdraw, 18 x's do the same, and others from Combat Arms Branches follow suit. Part of the Q is to weed out people who are badge seekers, and it works well - to qualify and/or disqualify SF soldiers.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote