View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 23:09   #4
Dozer523
BANNED USER

A Woman at War, The other side of the People's War by Thad Gaebelein. Thad was the recent Commandant at Valley Forge, he has been a USMA Instructor and he and I go way back to our early days in the Army. It is about Nguyen Thi Dinh "Sister Ba" a Senior General in the Viet Mihn / Cong. I was very surprised to find that women played an extensive role in Vietnam. I'd be interested in recollections from the soldiers of that time frame regarding the combat role women had on the other side.

World War Z an Oral History of the Zombie Wars Max Brooks. Picked it up on a whim and couldn't put it down. I'm a teacher and I think it is one of the best examples of "voice". It has the advantage that High School students will actually read it! Plus once you "accept" that there are Zombies the stories are great.

The Canon by Natalie Angier. It is a wonderfully simple introduction to science -- Scientific Process, Statistics, Probability, Physics, Chemistry, Evolutionary Biology, Molecular Biology Geology and Astronomy.

Moby Dick. The fifteen year (and counting) slog through that book continues. I hated it in 1993 and I still hate it, only now I have about 6 copies.