View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 06:14   #7
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post
Ganar is related to gagner in French and ultimately "gain" in English (itself from Middle French). The French 1er RPIMa, descended from the French SAS of WW2, uses the motto "Qui ose, gagne" as a translation of "Who dares, wins". We had a discussion many years ago on Socnet about how the English "win" had also lost much of its broader meaning and become limited to winning a prize or a game when discussing why "Medal of Honor winner" no longer sounded like an appropriate phrase.

The Spanish phrase here seems similar to the Latin motto "aut vincere aut mori", "either to conquer/vanquish, or to die". But the "morir matando" seem to add the notion of not just dying, but going down fighting.
This is very much where I was trying to go. My fingers are never able to keep up with what I’m thinking.
What I failed to explain was that ganar means to win, but also to earn like pay. Yo gané ayer...... I got paid yesterday. Los Houston Astros ganaron El Serie del Mundo... The Houston Astros won The World Series.

I added that to show that ganar and vencer were different form of “win”

You could also equivocate it to the phrase from Shawshank Redemption, “Get busy livin’ or get busy dyin.”

Southern’s translation is probably most accurate.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote