View Single Post
Old 07-14-2016, 17:38   #5
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

http://news.sky.com/story/nice-witne...oting-10502107

France: Truck Driver 'Came Out Shooting'
An eyewitness to the Nice attack has said he saw a truck driver slam a vehicle into a crowd of revellers and then emerge from the vehicle shooting.

Wassim Bouhlel said: "There was carnage on the road. Bodies everywhere."

Dozens of people are thought to have been killed around the city's Palais de la Mediterranee, a building that fronts the beach.

Eyewitnesses have described it as a deliberate attack, with a local official quoted as saying the driver travelled at high speed for more than 100 metres along the famed Promenade des Anglais seafront before hitting spectators.

Another witness told i-Tele: "We almost died. It was like hallucinating... (the lorry) zigzagged - you had no idea where it was going. My wife ... a metre away ... she was dead.

"The lorry ripped through everything ... poles, trees.

"We have never seen anything like it. Some people were hanging on the door and tried to stop it."

A reporter for the AFP news agency described seeing a white truck driving at high speed onto the famed Promenade des Anglais as people were celebrating the annual Bastille Day national holiday.

"We saw people hit and bits of debris flying around," he said, adding that the incident took place near the city's famed Hotel Negresco.

Terrified people screamed as they fled the area. "It was absolute chaos," he said.

Witness Tony Molina watched the chaos unfold from his hotel room on the promenade.

He told CNN: "There was still a crowd of people and then you just see this big white panel truck, I couldn't see the driver, but it just kept going at different angles from left to right at 25 to 30 miles and hour.

"People were screaming and running. There are still people I am looking at right now that are near their deceased family members.

"I work in homicide and I've never seen anything like this. It's unbelievable."

Sylvie Toffin, a local authority press officer, said the lorry "hit several people on a long trip" down the pavement.

Ms Toffin said that "to my knowledge" there was no gunfire and that the incident was deliberate.

"It's an attack," she said, adding she did not have casualty figures.

Another journalist at the scene said: "People are running. It's panic. The lorry mounted the Prom - he drove over everyone.

"Everyone is bleeding - there are loads of people injured, without doubt."

One woman told France Info she and others had fled in terror.

"The lorry came zig-zagging along the street," she said.

"We ran into a hotel and hid in the toilets with lots of people."

Another woman told the station she was sheltering in a restaurant on the promenade with some 200 other people, where things had calmed down about two hours after the incident.