View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 17:45   #8
Intel NCO
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Egypt approves Libya deployment, risking clash with Turkey

https://abcnews.go.com/International...libya-71873091

"CAIRO -- Egypt’s parliament on Monday authorized the deployment of troops outside the country, a move that could escalate the spiraling war in Libya after the president threatened military action against Turkish-backed forces in the oil-rich country.

A troop deployment in Libya could bring Egypt and Turkey, close U.S. allies that support rival sides in the conflict, into direct confrontation.

President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi has called the strategic coastal city of Sirte a “red line” and warned that any attack on the city, which sits near Libya’s main oil-export terminals and fields, would prompt Egypt to intervene to protect its western border. ..."

From Egypt's border Sirte is about 2/3's of the way across Libya.

The only thing I'm keeping my eyes peeled for is how AQIM and ISIS will exploit the conflict to strengthen and rebuild their presence. Huge implications for North Africa with this. Although I doubt violence will spill into Algeria and Tunisia, if it does it would cross some serious lines there.

The instability will only continue to fuel illicit networks operating into the Sahel, which are occasionally utilized or co-opted by any of the several Salafi Jihadist groups running around. I'm curious about the French response to an Egyptian incursion in Libya..