Thread: Body Language
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 15:57   #17
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
"Eye reading," this typically is what most think of along with the the different links I posted.

Does it change for different handed people?

What about cultures?

My understanding is that this chart has more or less been discredited. (I'm not an expert. I've just sat through some classes and been told to forget some of the popular notions about detecting lies, including the looking in certain directions, etc.)

-----------------------------------------------

I've had training in reading "microexpressions," which are quick (as short at 1/16th of a second) facial movements that portray seven universal human emotions. (Anger, contempt, disgust, fear, joy, sadness, surprise)

The training was based on the work of Paul Ekman, PhD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ekman

The idea is that even when a subject is trying to deceive you, he may subconsciously perform a micro-expression that belies one of those seven emotions, and that in turn may indicate a 'hot spot' or possible deception.

There are some web based training programs that let you practice spotting the micro-expressions. www.humintell.com is the one I have experience with. You do need to practice recognizing these microexpressions. You aren't likely to pick up these without some formal study.

Ekman has a few books out. That might be a good place to start if this interests you.

These seven emotions are supposed to cross cultural lines, and reading microexpressions should work with any culture.

Last edited by Leozinho; 11-29-2013 at 09:39. Reason: corrected error by replacing 'deception' with 'contempt'
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote