Thread: Be Prepared
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 00:38   #874
G2squared
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamuelas View Post
I haven't found Lithium 12v prices anywhere close to Lead acid. Please post your source/business you are using for parts. I am very interested.

Also, I know you won't need as many amp hours with lithium compared to lead acid.... Are those 12v /50amp hour lithiums?
FWIW,
Lithium batteries will be more expensive, but it’s the trade off in maintenance and power cycles ( typically rated over 2000 full discharges, you kill lead acid batteries very quickly doing that) and draw capabilities that you’re paying for. I bought a few 108Ah batteries for replacing failed 6V 70Ah deep cycle batteries in my travel trailer. They were from Costco and cost about $700 each. They only weigh 28lbs so are easily removed for theft prevention. Also found a few smaller 20Ah units for running radios and the grill when outside away from an outlet so I don’t have to run a generator. The smaller ones can be found with little searching.

Solar is great but expensive initially. BEWARE (for those who don’t know) if going with the sales pitch from your local HD, many systems are being sold with no capability to generate power unless there is power on your incoming lines already. So if the power goes out, they are worthless as backup. The issue is around meeting code and protecting linemen doing repairs. Then installing the right power inverter that those companies don’t sell. It’s just stupid. But there’s a bunch of wall flowers out there feeling good about themselves for doing this type of install.
If you’ve got running water near by, then it’s the Gold Standard for self sufficient
power. Battery bank is still typically needed for surge loads, but a water wheel running continuously, even a small one, will make a lot of power over time.
G2
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote