Thread: Be Prepared
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 08:43   #863
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

I recommend diesel, propane, or natural gas for generators.

Gasoline storage sufficient to power long-term needs is an expensive and time-consuming chore.

Diesel has some of the same issues as gasoline, and natural gas is dependent on the power to its distribution system.

At this point, for the long-term, I propose solar primary power with a battery bank and a smaller LP generator to handle higher load periods and to charge batteries. It isn't cheap though.

TR
100% agree with TR

To Add: In several of the 13? hurricanes we lived thru in the Key's 20yrs ago We gained some insights.

1)Diesel tops for gen-sets, boats, vehicles BUT you need to understand your resupply chain and consumption. The state, county & FEMA set delivery schedules and priorities. #1, all fuels went to LEO's, FD's and medical facilities, then to food services like grocery store gen-sets. The same rules for gas & LP. If you want the fuel, understand your use rates and plan a large supply.

2)Solar has become the #1 but it isn't economical on a small scale. Again build at least 50% over your max usage and for the battery bank as big as you can, w/ a stand-alone diesel gen-set.

3)for small operations like a camp(under 500sqft?) there are good wind generator kits and battery packs that will keep the lights lit and modest charging abilities for tools and communications. Also well as on-site back-up to solar when the sun doesn't shine. Remember the wind blows at nite..

My $00.0002

PS: For the hardcorp preppers,, wind generators don't make noise..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote