View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 13:29   #4
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
JJ great eye for detail! Once I took out the one tank I noticed a bunch of pipe and valves...it seemed my Grandfather did just that, there is a pipe and valve going to the second tank and there is also a pipe which bypasses the second tank. I kept wondering why two pipes are potentially feeding one supply line, pressure, supply however the thought of two tanks working independently didn't occur to me.

It is one of the few canyons with water both as a creek flowing part way before it goes beneath the gravel from a flood in 1930's and with springs in the ravines. I suspect the Water Works were built in the later part of the 30's. So as to usage, between 6 or so cabins use would be considered low, occasional sink use, toilets, etc... as to flow from the spring I'm sure it is different depending on rains.

I would love to develop some hydro but probably from the creek.

RC in WNC there are many spring systems and I know they are variable with season and water tables changing. There seems to be an eco system that exists around healthy springs like crickets and craw daddies, while it is not an accurate indicator I was pleased to see the crickets.

So with the spring box it looks like there was a ditch on the uphill side to drain away surface water, it is about 6' behind and needs cleaning out, this should channel much of the surface contamination away from the spring box as well as building a lip around it. The existing tanks are aprox. 270 gal and the new tanks are 300 gal. The system is low profile so it is working on a relatively small elevation change at the Water Works then it drops down a good bit. I am removing years of dead brush and fallen trees above the water tanks to eliminate habitat for animals and will work the drainage so that hard rains will not flow over the tanks into the storage.

One question I may play with is to create a bio filter of sorts around the spring boxes with sand, perhaps that would further treat contaminates?

My house in WNC has a well and uses a 220 pump at the bottom then a pressure tank under the house. I do not have 220 electric just yet...it is a simple 110 probably less than 60 amps. It would be nice if I could use a solar powered pump for the well, I know there are limitations just don't remember the lift capacities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 054.jpg (134.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 051.jpg (97.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 094.jpg (114.8 KB, 68 views)

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 05-30-2018 at 13:44.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote