View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 19:55   #11
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney
I don't see these as arguments/disagreements of any kind-just different perspectives based on different experiences. Perhaps I misunderstood the question.
i'm not sure there ever was i question...i was musing something to the effect that having an XO on an A-team was maybe another way of grooming an officer to be a detachment commander...i would agree that SF is no place for a 2LT (although i think a prior service guy can fill a need, as i did)...as i stated earlier, the warrant provides experience in a profession where a lack of experience is often a fatal shortcoming...i am somewhat conflicted about that...i feel that time cranking a generator as an XO makes a guy a better detachment commander, or at least provides some crucial background...that said, an XO can get folks killed as quickly as an inexperienced detachment commander...i am not sure (and will listen to any arguments/opinions to the contrary) about the warrant officer concept as the only solution to having two officers on a team...i'm not sure having a mixture of warrants and lieutenants would be workable, and i am sure that there is no such thing as too much experience in the special operations profession...but i was just musing...

must be beer-thirty...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote