Thread: 18A Description
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2004, 19:35   #15
Razor
Quiet Professional

For your benefit, I'll go line-by-line in your temper-tantrum post (yeah, that's basically what it was; admit it, start listening instead of pouting and ranting, and learn) to show you how at least one guy who's already done some of what you want to do.

Quote:
one, I am no child, nor do I act, speak, or look like one.
Actually, you've said you're sixteen. To many folks here, you're still very much a child. Additionally, as I've already stated, this post of yours is the web version of a temper tantrum (I didn't get my way so I'm going to yell and insult people), which is a childish thing to do.

Quote:
two, how is wanting to be an SF stupid? if you say my question is stuipd then you are saying that being an SF is stupid. Is that what you're trying to say?
I'm betting Gits was referring to your earlier, multiple posts demanding information about sniping within SF, not becoming an SF soldier. You completely missed the farily obvious reference, again demonstrating a child-like attention to detail.

Quote:
three, when recruiters do not respond to letters, goarmy.com is sketchy on what to do before joining, and I don't know any SF's in which I can ask these questions, WHO CAN I GO TO?!?! Tell me! Cause I really wanna know. Everyone who joined the military in any branch has been at my level and was in the need to know about what they were about to join, and the commitment they were making.
Just because we live in the information age doesn't mean that you will get every question you ask answered. Some information you will learn when its the right time and appropriate, no sooner. Then again, were I a recruiter and you demanded information of me as you've done here, I'd give you nothing, either. Respect is a two-way street. Further, I'm guessing you don't know everyone who has joined the military in any branch, so declaring that you know their abilities and can definitively compare your preparation to their's is absurd.

Quote:
four, I take great offense in being called a child, as I am only 2-4 years younger than most SF's in the field.
This only goes to display how little you really know about SF soldiers, despite your claimed research. The average age on my team was 33, more than twice your 16 years, so no, you are not only 2-4 years younger than most qualified SF soldiers currently serving. Again, to us, you still are (and certainly are acting like) a child.

Quote:
five, when I am in the position that everyone currently in the armed forces has been in at one time, I think they should be understanding and have a little respect.
Remember that little 'two-way street' comment? Also, understand we're not here to serve you. There are so many qualified SF candidates (especially in the officer ranks) that SF branch is turning people away. Whether you as an individual feel you are capable means nothing on the whole. If you want us to take the time to answer your questions, be respectful, use proper grammar (that whole attention to detail thing again) and ask well thought out, appropriate questions.

Quote:
six, nowhere in my comment did I mention sniping. I sure didn't see it. And even if I did, snipers are an integral role in the Army, wars are not fought with CQB alone.
You asked about sniping in earlier threads the folks here deemed inappropriate, either in content or method of asking. We have pretty decent attention spans, and aren't easily fooled. Don't try to pull the wool over our eyes and expect not to be called on it. As for sniping, how do you know (besides what you've read in books) the role snipers play? There are folks here that were doing that job for decades before you were even born, so how about you leave the factual statements to them, and realize you don't know what you don't know.

Quote:
If my questions are so stupid, tell me how they are stupid. I have heard no reasoning behind this. All I hear is that I'm stupid, my questions are stupid, I'm a child and no one wants to talk to me.
If all you hear is that your questions are stupid, maybe you should wonder why that's what you're being told. You could say, "I've obviously come across here very poorly. I have some SF-related questions I'd like to ask and was wondering if someone could help me find the answers I'm seeking, if they're relevant to my goal of becoming an SF soldier." That's the adult way of recovering from your earlier faux pas, not getting all puffy-chested and trying to bully your way into a group of predators who see you as a snack rather than a threat.

Quote:
The Army isn't some secret society in which it's a closely guarded secret in joining.
Again, what do you really know about the Army? I'll answer that for you--very little. There are some things you don't (and won't) know, and its not up to you as to whether you'll learn them or not.

Quote:
Why can't you people stop avoiding the question and answer me?
I'm growing sick and tired of this. I asked a fair, and relevant question about the 18A MOS. We're on the same side people! Why can't you just answer a few simple questions?
We can, if we choose to. Again, we're not here for your benefit, or at your beck and call. More respectful questions and far, far less demanding would serve you well right about now. Understand your operational environment (you may hear that one again in the distant future, if you can get your act together). If you're truly sick and tired of this forum, you're more than welcome to leave. In fact, you may leave whether you want to or not if you continue down your current road.

Quote:
There's nothing hard nor childish about it, I'm sure you all were asking the same questions when it came to signing on.
That may be true, but many of us tried to enter SF knowing little to nothing about it, simply did our best in an ambiguous environment (another 'you'll see this again' moment), and let those who knew infinitely more about the needs of SF decide whether we had the core requirements needed to become an SF soldier. You may think you need to know something, but in truth you very well may not. That is not up to you to decide. Demanding in the face of this reflects very poorly on your maturity, decision making ability and emotional stability. Think about that for a moment. If you don't want to be treated like a child, don't act like one when you don't get your way. Now, you've already made a very poor impression on the people here that are qualified to answer your questions; you may want to back up, cool off, make some heartfelt apologies and try again with a bit more respect. Your fate here is in your hands.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote