View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 13:03   #17
HardRoad
Quiet Professional

Location: Georgia, Florida and North Carolina (its complicated)
Paper Tab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
It would never be referred to as a "paper Tab" since there was no Tab at the time. When we referred to it at all, we called it "OJT"

Later, in the 1980's, after the creation of the 18 series MOS and the SF Tab, it was common to hear the term "Paper Tab" used to refer to SF soldiers who had gone through the reserve qualification process. I think the reserve qualification path went away as an option soon after they instituted the selection requirement, so it would have been FY89 or thereabouts, and over time, the number of paper tabs in the Guard dropped off to almost nothing, so it became a real oddity when you heard one of the old guys hadn't been through the Q.

If I recall correctly, the award of the 18 series MOS and the SF Tab was automatic for guys with the S ASI who had gone through the Q course, but SWC required the" paper flash" guys to submit a request, and basically revalidate the paperwork. They eventually came out with a NLT date to get the request in - I remember a lot of guys camped out in front of copy machine back then extracting the relevant portions of their 201 for the application packet.
HardRoad is offline   Reply With Quote